Sumba Island

The Beach at Nihi Sumba


Our Villa, Lulu 1
Flying from Bali to Sumba was super cool. When we pulled up to the airport in Bali, we were met by two men from our hotel on Sumba island. They opened our car doors to help us out, took our luggage and walked with us to the check in desk. We did not have to carry anything other than our backpacks. They told us we would not see our luggage again until we were in our room on Sumba. My parents thought that was pretty cool.

The airport had a few shops and restaurants. They had a Pizza Hut but the menu was different. I saw legos in one of the shops and begged for them. My Mom said they were WAY more expensive than in London or the States.  
Walking the runway at Tambolaka Airport on Sumba  

The plane ride to Sumba Island was very quick and their airport is small. We were the only plane there and we could walk on our own from the plane to the airport building which my Dad thought was super cool. We had a driver who took us in a car to the resort. The entire drive was almost two hours and we passed by villages and lots of land. 

The super cool door handles Tinus Made
When we arrived at our resort called Nihi Sumba, they said, "Hello James" and I asked my parents how they knew my name already. Everyone smiled. We met a man named Tinus who said he would help us during our stay. He is an artist and even carved the wooden door handles that are on our villa. I liked them because they looked like swords. Our villa was really big and I liked the name of it which was Lulu. I had my own bedroom and outdoor shower. We also had our very own pool! I have been swimming most days and my parents say that I have become a very good swimmer. Julia likes to swim as well but she needs someone to hold her. When we were in Kuala Lumpur Zac's Mom gave us his old floating swimsuit and it has helped Julia a lot. 
Our own pool!

At sunset we went down to the beach and to the boat house. We had coconuts to drink and the bartender told us we could even dance on the bar so Julia and I did! They also gave us bowls of popcorn which we ate all of. The people at the hotel would give me whatever I asked for so sometimes I would ask for ice cream before asking my parents. I never got away with it though! The first night at dinner they had a jungle theme and they decorated the room with pretty flowers and leaves. 

The next day we went for a ride in a jeep like the one we had for our safari in Sri Lanka but even nicer. We drove pass some homes on the way to a clinic. Everyone we passed waved at us and was excited to see us. I liked waving to all of the kids when we drove around.

There were some other adults from the hotel who were with us and a man named Kenny who is in charge of the Sumba Foundation was our guide. The adults went inside the clinic to talk about what they do to help people but my Dad stayed outside with Julia and I. There were many kids playing football nearby so we played with them. Julia especially gets a lot of attention and everyone wants to squeeze her face. Most of the time she is friendly but sometimes she hits their hands away.


From the clinic we got back in the jeep to drive to a family home that had a well and a farm. There were young kids at the home and they walked with me as Kenny told us about the crops and the water well. We were told that the Sumba Foundation helped the farmer to grow food which was used for school lunches to help feed hungry kids. He said that many people did not have much food or water available to them like I do. 

Local friends walking the farm with me
We came back for lunch and nap time and then took the car out again on an even longer drive. This time a nice woman named Daya from Java came with. She also works with the Foundation and she talked a lot with my Mom. So many kids ran along the car when we drove past and waved at us. I waved back and yelled "Selamat Siang!" We finally reached the ocean on another part of the island and drove to a group of kids sitting down listening to a teacher. We joined them and were told that the teacher had gathered kids from nearby villages to teach them English. Some of the kids walked a long way just to take the class. We listened to a story called the Lion and the Fox which she read in Bahasa and English. We then taught the kids to sing the song Head and Shoulders but they already knew it. They liked to practice English with us and I especially liked to play tag with my new friend Rio. My Mom used to be a teacher and she said that this teacher, Ms. Asti, was really good.
The next day my parents went out without us so a hotel babysitter and Tinus played with us. We played with toys and walked around the resort. When my parents came back we swam in the pool and then my mom went on a horsehide. We came with to see the horses and one of the men who works at the stable told us about the Sumbanese Horse. Julia really wanted to go on the horse so they let her sit with my Mom on it for a little bit. Julia likes animals more than I do and she always walks right up to them. We walked down to the beach to see my Mom riding on the horse next to the water and Julia ran after her.

At sunset we met with the Managers of the hotel, Julien and Cara, to release baby turtles. Other  people were there too and after we were told about the turtles and their life, we let them go into the ocean. It was fun to watch them make their way into the sea. 

Hundreds of Baby Turtles to Set Free
We spent the next day on the beach. In the morning we went out on the paddle boards and swam in the ocean. I liked to play with the beach Frisbee and with the giant white swan in the pool the best. In the afternoon we saw their chocolate factory and played on the playground nearby. 
The playground behind the chocolate factory

That night at dinner there was a fire dance which was cool. I really liked it here.

On Sumba they speak Bahasa and here are some more words I learned:

1. Good Night is Selma Malam

2. Please is Silahkan 

3. Beautiful is Indah 

Fun Facts:

1. The traditional houses on Sumba are unique. They are square with a high peak. Under the house is for animals, the main part is for the people and the tall roof is for the ancestral spirits. They believe that the higher the roof the closer you are to God.
Traditional Sumba Home
2. Sumba used to belong to the Dutch.

3. The money on Sumba is Indonesian Rupiah. 

4. Sumba is known for Ikat, very detailed hand woven textiles. 

5. The majority of those on Sumba are Christian





















Comments

  1. Hi James.
    It sounds like you had a lot of fun in Sumba.
    I want to know if they have a lot of fruit there? I would think that they maybe would beimg that it’s warm and tropical. I love fruit.
    Also, do they release turtles in the ocean a lot? Or was it just while you were there? That sounds really neat.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts