Myanmar

Myanmar
The Golden Shwedagon Pagoda
I liked visiting Myanmar with my family. It was very hot and so I was happy to play in the pool each day. We usually explored sites in the morning and played in the hotel pool in the afternoon. This made everyone in the family happier. Sometimes we went back out in the late afternoon and sometimes we stayed at the hotel.

Asking for a selfie with us
We received lots of attention 
The people in Myanmar were very happy and friendly. They always smiled at us and said words like Mingalaba which means hello. They liked to take pictures of my sister and I. Sometimes they asked to take photos with my Mom and Dad as well. 
A View of Bagan
We visited many temples and pagodas. Myanmar is a Buddhist country and there are over 2,200 temples and pagodas just in Bagan. My family and I talked about why they visit temples and how we go to a church instead of a temple. We were allowed to ring the bells which we wanted to do over and over again. 
Playing the bells at the Pagoda
We had a nice cool car that drove us around to see the temples, pagodas and other sites. In the car we had water with us and I needed a lot. I also liked it when we could have juice during the day.

We took a boat in Bagan on the river to see the sunset. They gave us some delicious candy to try which they said was Tamarind flavor. I liked it a lot and so did Julia. It was the best thing I ate. 

Eating peanuts and tamarind candy during a river boat ride in Bagan
We visited a lacquer ware shop in Bagan and learned about how they make pretty things out of bamboo and lacquer. They made Julia and my Mom a pretty bracelet. I sat by one woman on a mat as she carefully drew patterns on a tray. It took a lot of time for her to hand draw the  design.

Our visit to a laquerware factory


We had only two nights in Yangon but three in Bagan. My favorite hotel was the one we stayed at in Yangon. I liked their big pool and the hats we could wear by the pool. It was also super mega cool to see the peacocks and other birds walking around on the grass. The General Manager was also a really nice guy who talked with us at breakfast and told us about his family.

Belmond Governor's Residence
My favorite thing that we did was walk on a bridge in the trees at a park in Yangon. We saw it when we walked through the park on the way to the giant pagoda from our hotel. My Dad and I climbed high up above to walk between the two towers. I wish I could have played more in the playground there.
Climbing in the trees in Yangon
Important things that I learned about Myanmar during my visit:

Three facts:
1. Myanmar was formerly known as Burma.
2. Myanmar shares borders with China, India, Laos, Bangladesh and Thailand. 
3. Myanmar is a Buddhist country with over 80% of the country as Buddhist.


Three words we learned to say in Burmese:
1.   Good morning or Good afternoon is Mingalahrba
2. Thank you is Che Zu Ba
The Very Large Reclining Buddha
3. How are you is Neh Kaun La

  

Comments

  1. Hi James,

    I live reading your blog! It looks like you are having so much fun with your family and learning a lot about countries, people and traditions. Can you also tell us what Julia likes to do?

    Love you and miss you here in London
    Sarah ‘SJ’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! I miss you and the people too. Julia likes to play with me but not sometimes when she is really mad. She likes to do everything and eat ice cream. She likes to copy me.

      Delete
  2. Hi James.
    You are really good at telling us all about the places you visit. It sounds very interesting. Are you getting really good at swimming? Drew wants to know if there are any cars where you’ve been. He loves cars!

    I’m excited to hear more about your travels.
    Love,
    Auntie Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aunt Kim,
      Yes, I am a good swimmer. I can swim under water and touch the bottom of the pool and come up and have a breath. I can swim all by myself.
      Yes, there are cars but also many scooters. My favorite vehicle was a tuk tuk shaped like an elephant.
      I really want to go to Stormy Lake and I will see you there!
      Love,
      James

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts