Sri Lanka Week 2

Sri Lanka Week 2

We took a train from Hatton to Ella in an old blue train. It was fun and I liked it. Our driver dropped us off and met us at the Ella station so we didn't have to carry our luggage. From there we had another long car ride to a hotel that had super cool rooms called Cocoons. It was my favorite hotel because I slept in a sleeping bag next to Mommy and Daddy's bed on the floor. I have never done that before.

Cocoon at Wild Coast Tented Lodge
We went on safari but it was too long for me. Sometimes it was boring having to be quiet while waiting for animals. I did like seeing the elephants and the crocodile. I was told by our guide that the crocodile keeps it mouth open to cool off.

We drank a lot of juice and my favorite was mango. I had juice everyday but my parents said I was not allowed to have it at dinner. I have also had a lot of ice cream which is my favorite.

The Why House
After leaving Yala, we had another long drive to the beach. We stayed in a hotel that was like a home and I made friends with some other kids staying there from London. We played while my parents had dinner. I liked the beach toys for the pool, especially the shark. I really liked visiting the turtles and releasing some of the babies into the ocean. I liked the turtles but did not want to hold the baby because it wriggled in my hand and so I dropped it. Daddy had to pick it up. I liked petting the big turtle in the tank and touching the hard shell when my Daddy held it.

From the beach we went to stay in Fort Galle and I liked walking on the fort walls. I saw kids swimming in the ocean. They swim in their clothes and that made them wet. I asked my Mom and Dad a lot about this. There were many Tuk Tuks in the street but my favorite was shaped like an elephant. It was very hot and it made me tired.

I liked our hotel in Fort Galle. Julia and I had our own room which was fun and made my parents happy as well.
Fort Bazaar Hotel
One day we went to visit a home for boys and girls that do not have parents. My Mom and Dad let me pick out toys to bring to them and I picked out cars. I did not want to give them all away at first but I was told they don't have as many toys as I do and it is good to share. I liked playing on their playground and seeing the lanterns that they had made for their Buddhist festival called Vesak. Sometimes I was shy when too many kids wanted to talk to me or touch my face. 

I was told by our driver, Tharindu, that in Sri Lanka they speak Sinhala as a main language. He taught us to say a few things:

1. Hello is hallo

2. Goodbye is gihin ennam

3. Thank you is stutti



Three facts that I learned about Sri Lanka are:

1. Their national sport is volleyball

2. They celebrate a festival called Vesak and make pretty lanterns that light up in the city.

3. The national bird is junglefowl. Our driver likes birds a lot.


We have found out that it works best for our family to explore in the morning and have rest time in the afternoon at the hotel before going out again. My sister Julia is only two years old and needs to nap after lunch. My parents like to work at this time and I do some homework as well.

For our last night in Sri Lanka we stayed in a hotel called the Shangri-La and we loved looking out of our window at buildings down below. Everyone at the hotel was really nice and helpful.

I liked Sri Lanka. 
Our room at the new Shangri-La in Colombo

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts