Sri Lanka Week 1


Pool at Taylors Hill
My favorite thing about Sri Lanka is the pools. We have stayed in four hotels so far and they all have pools. My favorite hotel so far is Taylor's Hill because it was the coolest. I also liked it because I had a comfortable bed and they had a kid's room with Legos and games. Other families were staying there and I made friends with a boy from Australia and one from the United States. My friend from Australia told me that they have poisonous spiders that live in the forest.

I like riding in the car but it is very bumpy. Our guide, Tharindu, helps us by driving and bringing us to fun places. He comes with us everywhere we go. We take naps in the car and look out our window at all the Tuk tuks in the street. They call them three wheelers here. He also makes sure to have water and some snacks in the car. I like the lemon cream crackers the best.

The languages in Sri Lanka are English, Tamil and Sinhala. 


Bathing with the elephant after our walk with her
During our first day in Sri Lanka we went to see Elephants at the Millennium Elephant Foundation in Kegalle. I was scared of the giant elephant but Julia was not. She and my Mom bathed the elephant. We went for a walk with our elephant and our guide told us all about what she eats and does every day. In the afternoon we went to a restaurant and saw elephants bathing while I had juice. I have had juice every day and my favorite is the mixed fruit.

The battery in our car died one day and another family offered to take us to our hotel in their car. They were from Sri Lanka and very nice. They laugh a lot and they told me that they laugh because they are happy people.

In Kandy we visited the Temple of the Sacred Tooth. My Dad had to wear a sarong over his shorts to cover his legs and we all had to take off our shoes. I didn't like it because it was too crowded.

We also went to see a traditional dance at night. I liked how the guys would twirl and do flips. I liked the tambourines and when they threw them in the air and then would catch it.


Traditional Kandyan Dance
We went to the Royal Botanical Gardens and had our picture taken a lot! Many people asked my Mom and Dad to take a picture with us. Julia and I liked to run through the maze and look at all the monkeys. They are very cheeky.



We took a drive up in the mountains and drove past many tea plantations. It was a very long drive. It started to rain and the road to our hotel was very bumpy. My parents said it didn't seem like much of a road at all.


Our hotel only had a few bedrooms and there was a really nice couple staying at the hotel who played with us. They were on their honeymoon but they played with me in the pool and also kicked the football back and forth. I liked them a lot and so did my parents.
The pool at Camellia Hills
We visited a tea factory one day and I learned how tea was made. I liked looking at all the machines and exploring the building. I wonder what we will do next.



Comments

Popular Posts